Posted: Friday, January 26, 2018 10:56 AM
Your success is a train ride away.
Amtrak connects businesses and communities across the country and we move America's workforce toward the future. We employ more than 20,000 diverse, energetic professionals in a variety of career fields throughout the United States. The safety of our passengers, our employees, the public and our operating environment is our priority and the success of our railroad is the result of our employees.
Are you ready to join our team?
SUMMARY OF DUTIES:
The Construction Engineer position is responsible for, and provides coordination and construction management on small to medium complex projects and studies required items to repair, rehabilitate, or construct Amtrak facilities and systems at the Division level. This position directs Engineering Department resources as required and has the overall responsibility to coordinate, supervise and inspect construction projects performed by Amtrak forces or by outside third party contractors. Provides technical, logistical and administrative support to ensure the successful completion of capital or third party construction projects within scope, schedule and budget. Coordinates project scope, schedule and budget with all affected departments.
* Manages numerous construction projects at the Division level.
* Represents a Division or sub:department for all third:party design projects.
* Provides Amtrak construction guidelines to third:party contractors.
* Participates in the review of contract documents and quality control/quality assurance procedures for in:house and third party construction projects on Amtrak owned or operated property and makes recommendations for improvements in the quality control/quality assurance functions.
* Participates in the constructability review of project plans and specifications.
* Works with Amtrak design staff to effect changes in standards and contract documents and recommends modifications to standards as required.
* Coordinates internal Amtrak technical reviews of third:party submittals (30, 60, 90 percent designs; calculations; shop drawings; demolition and erection drawings, etc.) to ensure timely responses.
* Maintains all correspondence logs including general correspondence with the contractors, designers, internal Amtrak personnel, regulatory agencies, and private interest groups.
* Responsible for day:to:day control and construction management of projects.
* Ensures that construction work is progressed in accordance with standard plans, specification and established Amtrak and FRA requirements.
* Coordinates proposed work with other Amtrak departments, outside agencies, municipalities and other railroads as required.
* Performs construction inspections necessary to protect the integrity and safety of railroad operations and determines necessary remedial actions by third:party contractors to correct deficiencies.
* Updates project schedules and tracks overall project performance.
* Reviews, analyzes and approves or denies claims received from the contractors in accordance with terms and conditions of the contract to determine whether extra work or delay issues are justified.
* Responsible for participating with the customer in draft invoice reviews to ensure accurate and complete invoicing to customers.
* Resolves all customer:billing exceptions.
* Performs and coordinates project closeout functions.
* Demonstrated railroad experience.
* Extensive construction experience.
* Demonstrated experience and knowledge of train operations, railroad maintenance and construction methods
* Demonstrated experience working with contractors.
* Demonstrated experience in working with multiple team members
* Ability in the exercising of considerable judgment and initiative
* Demonstrated experience in Planning/Scheduling, Administration and Contracts Management.
* Demonstrated experience in Construction Management.
* Knowledge of FRA regulations
• Location: South Jersey
• Post ID: 53158372 southjersey