Posted: Tuesday, August 29, 2017 1:51 PM
Your success is a train ride away.
Amtrak connects businesses and communities across the country and we move America's workforce toward the future. We employ more than 20,000 diverse, energetic professionals in a variety of career fields throughout the United States. The safety of our passengers, our employees, the public and our operating environment is our priority and the success of our railroad is the result of our employees.
Are you ready to join our team?
SUMMARY OF DUTIES
The Project Estimator develops detailed construction estimates for the Engineering Department at Amtrak. This position works with design engineers and project management team members to understand scope of work and gather the information necessary to develop estimates. The Project Estimator is required to ensure that all costs needed to complete construction of a project are covered in the estimate. This position requires a proactive individual in order to effectively gather information from various sources and project team members while managing frequently changing priorities. The Project Estimator will work with other estimators to learn the methods and techniques of construction estimating to help improve the overall skills of the estimating group.
- Analyzes and compiles estimate data that impacts the cost of labor, materials, equipment requirements, location and other factors to ensure high quality and timely estimates
- Identifies and quantifies cost factors, such as production time and raw material, equipment, and labor expenses
- Applies standard construction concepts, practices and procedures within a particular railroad discipline (electric traction, signals, structures, track or applicable general construction) for estimate development.
- Incorporates field supplied information from Project Managers, Engineers, and Supervisors when developing estimates
- Must have ability to read technical project documents and blueprints to determine necessary resources (labor, material, equipment, etc.) for projects
- Incorporates project management tools such as Work Breakdown Structure (WBS) techniques, cost rollups, and internal Amtrak project related attributes
- Utilizes field supplied information and historical estimates to construct comprehensive estimates through Amtrak's professional estimating software
- Works with the field staff of sub:departments to assist in the establishment of Project Teams and the organization of work to be performed within projects
- Makes decisions concerning equipment needs, the sequence of operations, the size of the crews required, and physical constraints at the project site
- Collaborates with other estimators to develop methods and procedures for streamlining the estimating process and standardizing outputs
- Travel to job sites to gather information on materials needed, labor requirements, and other factors when necessary
- Must have ability to obtain proficiency using professional estimating software
- Work cooperatively, and facilitate understanding as a project team member
- Able to pass Amtrak railroad safety program classes; Roadway Worker Protection (RWP) and electrical operating instructions AMT:2
- Must have an aptitude for mathematics, be able to analyze, compare, and interpret detailed but sometimes poorly defined information, and be able to make sound and accurate judgments based on this information
- Ability to focus on details, while analyzing and managing larger obstacles
- Assertiveness and self:assurance in presenting and supporting decisions made when developing estimates such as assumptions, construction methods and materials
- Proactive personality required along with ability to work with minimal supervision for day:to:day operations.
- Demonstrated strong organizational, planning, financial and analytical skills
- Demonstrated experience in oral and written communication, and ease in the presentat
• Location: South Jersey
• Post ID: 43566978 southjersey